2007 LACUS Conference
The 2007 annual meeting of LACUS was held July 24-28 at Eastern Kentucky University , Richmond, Kentucky, just South of Lexington, "The Horse Capital of the World".
Conference theme: "Speech and Beyond" (with emphasis on "beyond").
The venue relates to this theme, as eastern Kentucky is horse country. The theme was intended to include animal communication, including interspecies communication, especially between humans and animals. There was an excursion to a demonstration of horse communication (see below).
Featured Speakers included
- Linda Acredolo, University of California, Davis, "Signing with Babies Before they can Talk: A Window into the Infant Mind"
- Sidney Burrus, Rice University, "The Book and Beyond"
- Louis Herman, University of Hawaii, "Linguistic and Cognitive Skills of Dolphins"
- Irene Pepperberg, Harvard University and Brandeis University, "Communicative and Cognitive Skills of African Gray Parrots"
Conference subthemes included
- Human-animal communication
- Animal-animal communication
- Human communication in media other than speech and writing
- The uniqueness/nonuniquess of human language
Program Chair: Douglas Coleman, Univerity of Toledo
Local host: Sarah Tsiang, Eastern Kentucky University